The Planted Tree

Sunday, March 27, 2011
Just now, firmly tucked in between freshly washed sheets, I read Psalms 1. Feel like it's a major call for perseverance. Today was the kind of day where I rushed about here and there like a headless chicken, yet seemingly managed to accomplish nothing. Sure, I read a chapter of physics (ray optics is such a dud. Physicists really think we're complete fools don't they? Can't even decide whether light is a particle or a wave...), spent approximately $142 on random items including the new jennifer aniston perfume, watched 3 episodes of top gear, played a game of pool where I managed to sink in a grand total of 1 ball, and stared myself down in the mirror. All of these were done in desperate attempts to avoid studying for an exam and writing a journal abstract due in a few days. I play around with time like I'm a gas in a vacuum, slowly diffusing and taking up whatever space is available to me. I manage to take hours to do simple task such as replying to emails. Efficiency is definitely not the name of my game and sometimes I feel like just throwing in the towel and admitting defeat saying “God, the world just spins too fast for me!”. But what Psalms 1 reminded me of was that I totally am a tree planted by a stream.

"He is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season." Psalms 1:3

There is a time and season for everything. You study some years, play around in others, work hard the next few, enter a difficult slump, soar through some months, and huff and puff through the rest. Productivity is a must in a today's uber competitive world, and procrastination is never a good thing, but there is no need to give up thinking we just can’t keep up. As long as we're by a stream, we're planted right, we got everything we need to yield fruit, at our own pace.  The difference the bible points out is that if we're not by a stream, where do we get our sustenance from? how do we grow? It's harder when we don't have God to rely on (I know because I wasn't always such bff's with him) because all other human relationships are ultimately built to not last, whether we part by choice or by death. Your boyfriend is there for 3 years and 2 months, and then you break up. Your mom is the best, but you're separated from each other by the entire breadth of Canada and she can't really see that pain in your eyes when everything in your life is just wrong. God's always there, and nobody sees our pain better than he does, not even us. He gives us laws as guidelines, to lovingly steer us away from temptations and distractions. So go on, be a planted tree, be a stream for somebody, you can even be the leaf that does not wither, and take up however much time or space you need, because with God, you are guaranteed to prosper. Ahh...so good!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
She Speaks Conference